Read Across America Week - March 10- 14, 2014
All Week Activities:
- Dr. Seuss Trivia - We will have Dr. Seuss trivia on the morning announcements. Students will be able to enter their name into a daily drawing, by writing their full name and correct answer on a slip of paper and putting it in a box on the table in the front lobby. The winner will be drawn at the end of the day and the winner will receive a book.
- Guest Readers - Grades K- 5, a guest will come to rooms to read to students.
- Door Decorating Contest
- “Get Caught Reading” – Our Shuford Owl, aka Staff members, will call student’s home to “catch” them reading. If they are caught, their names will be announced the next morning and their name will go into a drawing for a book.
Monday- Buddy Reading
Tuesday- Book Swap K-2 day
Wednesday – Book Swap 3-5 day
Thursday – “Cuddle up with a Good Book” - Students can wear their PJs to school and “cuddle up with a good book.”
***Family Reading Night @ Shuford***
- Students will receive a free book
- Reading games will be set up in cafeteria
- Library- “Cuddle up with a good book” (read with your parents)
- Students can take AR tests in computer lab
- Sight word BINGO (in classroom)
- Reading a recipe
- Follow recipe to make a snack mix
Friday – Letterland Character Parade (K-1) & Favorite Character Dress-up Day: Students (and staff) are invited to dress as their favorite book character or a Letterland character (K-1). All entrants will be invited to participate in the Character Parade.
Below is a link to the online brochure to help you sell to relatives you may not be able to see before the 18th. This is simply for viewing purposes. Sorry no online purchases available.
Congrats to Shuford's, 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Angie Sigmon for being selected from more than 300 applicants to serve as a Teacher Ambassador at this years’ Emerging Issues Forum: Teachers and the Great Economic Debate.
As a Teacher Ambassador, she will be representing public schools and will participate in pre-Forum, Forum and post-Forum activities that will help North Carolina produce, recruit and retain more world-class teachers in the profession.
What an awesome accomplishment, we are so proud of you!